The Signs We Won't See



photo by Steve Ford Elliot
Lately, I've been highly distracted.  On a recent morning, I somehow managed to mangle both my car and the weather stripping on the side of the garage as I backed down the driveway.  Then there was day that I was driving home after dropping the kids off at school and suddenly realized I was almost at my destination, but I couldn't even remember leaving the school parking lot.  I'd been on complete auto-pilot.  I'm a pretty big menace behind the wheel of a car lately.  If you see my mini van coming, I suggest you go the other way.

My point is that if I was paying attention, I would have seen these as signs that I need to quiet my mind a little and focus.  I would have weeded out some of the busyness with which I'm currently surrounding myself.  That's if I had been paying attention to these signs.  I was not, so they just kept coming at me relentlessly.  In the end, that's a good thing because, eventually, I may just heed the signs and slow down.

Not to get all M Night Shyamalan-y on you, but the signs are all around us.  Sometimes they are mere whispers or gentle nudges.  And, sometimes they quite literally come crashing down at our feet.  They are persistent and always there whether we choose to notice them or not.  Much like the traffic signs that say STOP, but we all know just mean SLOW DOWN IF YOU FEEL LIKE IT.
photo by Gozde Otman
This picture is for my mother, who is
convinced that I will fall off a cliff.

Stop and read the signs around you today.  Leave a comment and tell me what you learn or share some of the more important signs from your past.

Today, my signs told me to ignore the boxes sitting in the garage for just a little while and do some writing this morning.  I understand those boxes will not sprout little muscled legs and climb the ladder in order to arrange themselves neatly on the high shelves.  I just figured that in the big picture, those boxes aren't really hurting anyone by lounging around on the garage floor.  Of course if I want to pull the mini van in the garage, that is a different story.  Then it is every box for himself!

Comments

  1. Ha ha! I would have done the same thing... writing is far more fun than sorting out boxes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how I hear you girl! Listening to my Grandson's school performance tonight was an eye-opener for me. How fast they grow up. How slow we can be (as parents/grandparents) to really understand and grasp that concept. How listening to a group of seven year olds sing about kindness can make me realize that I haven't been very kind lately. How complaining to myself, and to all of my family, about how sick I have felt (with a terrible cold) can suddenly make me feel ashamed and insignificant when I found myself standing next to a friend who has/is battling cancer. Yes, life can be tough, but when I suddenly do get quiet and listen to the world around me, I realize that I am so blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tonight's performance was another sign for me as well. From my seat I could barely see Izzy (yes, Annie from England, I too have an Izzy!). I was nearly livid that I wouldn't be able to get a good picture of her singing. In a huff, I put away my camera and (oh, the horror!) sat back to watch the children sing with my own eyes instead of a camera lens. And, you know what? It was the very best kid singing show I've ever watched.

    Sometimes memories fade, but I think I prefer the splintered memories to the absolute stress of trying to capture every waking moment of their lives with a camera.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanksgiving day I just happened to look out the widow to my back yard and there was my "Penny Plant" with what felt like a million buds on it! (First time in the year I have had it, with that many buds at one time!) And it was saying, "I'm here with you all for Thanksgiving" and it took my breath away! And every day since then they have been blooming a few a day! The flowers only last a day but for that day the" sign" I see is someone from heaven is with me all day long!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a delightful treat from Penny! I like that the flowers only last one day. Makes each one very special and a good reminder to be sure to live and laugh each day.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts