Do cows make wine?

Day 8

Photo by Gary Scott
www.garyslens.ca
For all my lactose intolerant readers, fear not.  I am not gifting eight maids a milking.  But, I have been thinking a lot about drinking lately.  Drinking heavily.  Because it's the holidays and that's what we do, right?

Coffee!  Of course I'm talking about coffee.

I can still remember my very first cup of coffee.  It was in a small coffee place on Franklin Street in Chapel Hill, North Carolina.  It was late one night.  I was there (instead of trying to sneak into a frat party) with some other geeks.  We were debating, well, to be honest, I don't know because I was kind of fixated on the disgusting frothy brown sludge that had been placed before me.  I didn't want to look like the complete idiot I was so I ordered a cappuccino.   The girl ordering just before me had ordered one, and I figured my best bet would be to just smile at the waitress and say, "Make that two."

Everyone is sipping their drinks and talking about crap of which I have no concept while I stare miserably at this mug of mud.  I was still in high school.  I remember the sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach that whispered to me, "You're soooo not ready for this."  I'm not sure if it was talking about the coffee or college.  It was probably right on both accounts, because it took a few years (and a few colleges) before I grew to love both coffee and college classrooms.

Reading with a cup of coffee in hand is a very magical thing for me.  Until recently, I thought it was because of the coffee.  But thanks to a friend, I now know it has little to do with what I'm drinking and everything to do with the vessel with which I am drinking it from.  It has to do with the feel of the mug, warm against my skin.  The weight of it in my palm.  The sturdiness with which is surrounds its contents.

When I lived in Colorado, I would take the bus to downtown Denver and walk the five blocks to campus, but not before stopping at The Market for a cup of coffee.  I'd walk contentedly through snow and freezing rain, cradling my cup of coffee between my thickly mittened hands.  The little stream of steam stealing out of the hole in the lid carried with it warmth and the smell of the fresh coffee and a sense of deep satisfaction.

On day eight, you should consider purchasing the perfect vessel for your beloved reader.  Be it coffee mug, wine glass, or water bottle, give them something that fits perfectly in their hands and holds within it gallons of satisfaction.

I'm a fan of the travel mug.  I'm clumsy.  Give me a hot liquid and I will spill it.  Everywhere.  So, for me, something like this mug from Cafe Press is perfect.
Happiness is . . . Travel Mug
However, I wouldn't turn my nose up at this unique little memo mug from Fishs Eddy.  Especially since there is a matching plate that looks like a piece of 3-ring binder paper.

Fishs Eddy Memo Notebook Mug

If you live in North Carolina, it is worthwhile to find a piece of Berry Towne Crafts handmade ceramics.  I purchased one on the same day my friend schooled me on the importance of the vessel.  I bought it from a man whose son lives at the O'Berry Center in Goldsboro, North Carolina.  At the O'Berry Center, adults with developmental disabilities live and work in a group home setting.  They make organic soaps and lotions, ceramic mugs, vases and birdhouses, and various gourmet snack food items.  

To find O'Berry pottery, you can visit their log cabin store at the Berry Towne Crafts in Goldsboro.  Or contact them at 919-581-4551 or customerservice@berrytowncrafts.com to ask about other retail opportunities.  

If you live in Wake Forest, North Carolina, you can find them at The Cotton Company on South White Street.

Berry Towne Crafts Boutique
The Cotton Company

Don't think for a moment that I haven't noticed the irony of suggesting you give a vessel as a gift this season.  Isn't that what Mary gave?  A very blessed vessel in which to safely carry a glorious gift.  

There is no need for eight maidens today. 

Comments

  1. How cool is that for a present - the mug and the pad that look like notepad paper. I like your words about coffee - I had never looked at it like that before!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you like the nifty memo mug and tray, Annie. As for thoughts on coffee, I have many. Probably too many. It may be a mental glitch, like a skip on on old vinyl album, but much of my day is spent like this: coffeecoffeecoffeecoffeecoffeecoffeecoffeecoffeecoffeecoffee . . .

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts