Gifts from Scratch

Day 10

Photo by Cecile Graat
http://www.gracedesign.nl

Lords a leaping!

There aren't that many shopping days left until Christmas.  This means it's time to dip into our creativity.  For day 10, we'll cook up something special to keep those lords a leaping.  

I'm partial to reading fiction, so it came as a shock to me when I realized I may not be serving my nonfiction readers well.  For me, nonfiction is just too . . . um . . . nonfictiony.  Except for cookbooks.  I love cookbooks.  Cookbooks filled with beautiful pictures of food.  I can page through the same cookbook happily for hours.  

The only other type of nonfiction I can stomach is memoir.  Months ago, I was delighted by a suggestion made by my brother-in-law to read My Life from Scratch by Gesine Bullock Prado.  Ms. Prado is Sandra Bullock's sister.  For years she worked in Hollywood running her sister's production company, until she realize she was miserable.  She left California for Vermont and opened her own bakery there.  

Memoir meet cookbook.
A match made in heaven.

My Life from Scratch is a memoir and cookbook all wrapped up in one.  Each recipe is gifted to the reader along with a memory that the yummy treat goes hand in hand with.  As I read it, I began piecing together in my head my memories with recipes.  

Humans are funny creatures for many reasons.  One being that so many of our traditions, our rituals, our ups and downs are deeply connected to food.  

On Day 10, you could consider purchasing a cookbook as a gift.  You may even be able to find My Life from Scratch (I got mine at Better World Books under its old title Confections of a Closet Master Baker).  

But, if you find that like me you are a little pressed for time, perhaps you could select a recipe that is just right for the recipient.  Hand write it on a notecard.  Maybe even bake a batch to give with the recipe.  For extra credit, write about the memory connected with your goody on the back of the card.  Everyone likes extra credit, right?  Oh, just dorky me then.

If you're needing a little inspiration, take a look at Ms. Prado's blog Confections of a Closet Master Baker here on blogspot.  

A gift guaranteed to make everyone do a few little leaps.

Comments

Popular Posts