Writing a Query: The Handshake (or researching specific agent likes)



"Had I been in love, I could not have been more wretchedly blind. But vanity, not love, has been my folly." - Elizabeth Bennet


Your query is a handshake. It's the first moment an agent or editor meets you. But it's not all about you. Learn from our dear Miss Elizabeth and let your vanity go. It's not about you.

Often when querying, it's easy to forget that this stupid, horrible, ridiculous letter we're struggling to write, is actually going to a real human being. And human beings have feelings. And those feelings must be attended to if you're going to make that great first impression.

Once you've got the basic framework for your query, you'll need to learn to tweak it to meet each agent's likes.

If you learn only one thing from this series of posts, this is what I want you to take away.

Every query you send should be personalized to the wants, needs, likes, and whims of the specific agent to whom you are sending it.

Not some of the queries you send. All of the queries you send. All. Of. Them.

How do you know what they like?

If you're lucky, like my friend Middle Grade Ninja, you'll meet your agent at a writing conference and spend time getting to know him personally.

If you're socially awkward like me and can't imagine trying to look a prospective agent in the eye while making coherent sentences with your mouth, then the internet is for you.

Two of my favorite sites for agent info are Rob Kent's blog Middle Grade Ninja and Casey McCormick's Literary Rambles.

My adorable, amazing agent, Jessica Sinsheimer, is featured on both blogs! She answers the 7 Questions on Middle Grade Ninja here. And I used this agent spotlight at Literary Rambles to read all about her before I queried.

The personalized query is important because it shows you're professional, hard-working, and personable.

Jill Corcoran of the Herman Agency said it best. "Yes, I sell books but I represent authors."

Your query is your introduction to another person. Make a count.

Up Next: Writing a Query: The Critique

Comments

Popular Posts