Writing a Query: The query critique


from Brookish on Etsy

Congratulations!

Writing a query can be daunting. And I'm super proud you've done it. But now I need to ask you to hand it over so others can tear it apart for you.

It won't hurt. Much.

Yes. It's time to get it critiqued.

I'm lucky enough to have an amazing writing group, the YA Cannibals, who absolutely adore shredding my work for me. I'm pretty sure a few of them have bets to see who can make me cry first.

But it's worth every tear because what I get when they're done eating my work alive is a solid, polished piece I can be proud to sign my name to.

But the query is a special (dangerous, shifty, predatory) animal, and therefore needs a special kind of reader. It needs readers that have never read your manuscript.

To get an accurate appraisal of how your query is working, you'll need to find some readers who've got no idea what your book is about.

These are the readers who will be able to more clearly tell you when you're being too vague. They'll be able to honestly gauge how interested they are in reading the full work. They can tell you when your pitch works and when it flops because they've got no vested interest in the story itself.

I found two critique forums especially helpful for query critiques.

She Writes Query Critique v2.0 is a members only discussion group on She Writes. If you are a She Writer with a query, this is the place to go.

AgentQuery Connect has a wealth of information on querying and active forums for posting and exchanging critiques.

In both, you are expected to offer critiques for others in exchange for critiques. I found that in taking apart and analyzing other's queries, I was learning the intricacies of what does and doesn't work for myself. Before posting my own query for critique, I read as many queries and people's comments and applied whatever lessons I could to my own writing.

I also stalked Query Shark. I read her comments and archives, took notes, marked up my own query with her suggestions, and soaked up as much query knowledge as I could.

After a few more drafts, I finally posted my own query on She Writes and AQ Connect, and let strangers help me make it stronger. I think they helped.

Once I'd polished it again, I gave it back to my Cannibals for tweaking before declaring it the best query I was capable of writing (that is, until the agent I mentioned here read it and tore it up. Ah, well. Back to revisions).

A few things to remember about this process.

With the exception of Janet Reid (aka Query Shark), most of the suggestions you'll receive online are from other writers with limited query experience (just like you). Be sure to balance each suggestion/comment with common sense and your own gut feelings about your piece.

It's okay to have to scrap an entire query and start over again. Think: Rinse and Repeat. I have 30 versions of my query. 30.

Take a break. If your query is making you want to bleed from your eyeballs, walk away. Use the time to do more agent research instead!

Remember, it is one step on a long journey. Do it well, but don't let it paralyze you.

And because I'm so proud of you, I'll leave you with this.


Up next: Writing a Query: Rejection

Comments

Popular Posts