Valentine's Day Poetry Contest







Photo by Mark Aplet
visual28.com
The other day while driving to pick my daughter up from school, my five-year-old son asked what my favorite word was.

Hmmmm?

That's a good one.

At the moment he asked, my favorite word was shenanigans.

Actually, still might be my favorite word.

Romance magnetic poetry kit
It reminded me of the refrigerator magnet poetry tiles I had years ago.  Years before children, when teeny tiny magnets were not considered a death threat, but were just that - teeny tiny magnets.  It was a set of maybe 200 random words, each printed on a teeny tiny magnet.  The hubby and I would arrange them into funny nonsensical poems.  It is highly contagious.  House guests would leave thank you poems.  I think I even caught the dog rearranging them into an ode to rolling in deer poo.

I'd like to propose a contest.  The first Wandering through the Words contest.  From now until Valentine's Day, leave a comment below with your favorite word.  That's it.  Just one word.  It's not hard.  Even my mom can leave a comment (sometimes).

On Monday, I'll post all the words.  I'll even compose a poem using some of my favorites.  Before you get really excited - I am not a poet.

Then, I'll invite you all to create and post your own poems.  A winner will be chosen at random (so your poem doesn't even have to be a masterpiece or anything for you to win!  What's to lose?).  The winner receives blog bragging rights and . . .


A package of Pink Ribbon Pasta!  Very delicious.

The thing is that this won't work unless you guys play along.  Otherwise, I'll just eat the pasta myself.  Which wouldn't be bad because it is very yummy pasta.  But, then I'll be left with that feeling that no one really likes me and my face will probably break out and I might have to get braces again and a really bad spiral perm and large plastic rimmed glasses and wear MC Hammer pants and . . . it'll be like I'm thirteen all over again.

Please don't make me be 13 again!  Please!!

Comments

  1. Scamooch! My dad always said it to us as we were crossing a street or in a parking lot. In the world of Sharon in the Kelley world it meant hurry your as... before you get hit by a car!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shan,
    By far the most descriptive word that I know is fustigate. Second place is salubrious.

    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts