Stick-on sentiments

Proud zombie mama! Thanks, Cafe Press.


Ah, Fall, how do I love thee?

The crunch of colorful leaves under my boots.

The smell of wood-burning fires.

Warm apple cider in Halloween mugs and candy corn by the handful.

Costumes and decorations and not having to clear the cobwebs from the corners because they make my décor more authentic.

Pumpkin Spiced EVERYTHING!

Parent-teacher conferences and children quivering in fear of first-quarter grades.

All my favorite things!


Hubster and I have always approached school by encouraging the kids to have fun, make friends, try their best, and above all else—remember to breathe!

Daughter is a worrier. Breathing doesn’t always come naturally to her.

I don’t know where she gets it.

Bwahahahaha!

Sorry, I really thought I could pull that off with a straight face.

We all know exactly where Daughter gets her ability to manifest extreme levels of anxiety over itty-bitty things.

Her father.

Oh, fine!

Me. She gets it from me.

Daughter’s nature to push herself too hard means we’ve never had to push her. Not even a nudge. Nary a nag, prod, or poke.

It also means that, over the years, we’ve never paid attention to grades or standardized test scores. Daughter’s got that covered. In fact, Daughter laughs at me because I always forget to check online when the report cards are posted.

This year at Daughter’s conference, she was awarded the coveted “My kid is an Honor Student” car sticker.
Like it? Found this gem at Cafe Press.

Yup. That’s on my car now. Did I mention it was a sticker? Yup. Never. Coming. Off.

Apparently, I was supposed to cry when this sticker was presented to us at the conference. The teacher had warned that most parents get teary. Daughter was mystified when her mother, who cries over lemon pound cake, stayed dry for the sticker. (Read about the pound cake crying jag at Thick Slice of Life.)

It’s a sticker. On my car. Never. Coming. Off.

If I’m crying over the sticker, it’s not for the reason everyone suspects.

But that's not to say I didn't get a little misty during the conference.

Daughter loves to read. Her teacher told us she’s noticed Daughter starting conversations with classmates about the books they're reading.

She’ll say things like, “I loved that book, especially when . . .” or “That’s such a cool book. My favorite part was . . .” or “What’s your book about? I’ve not read it, yet.”

Daughter not only wants to read the books, but she wants to engage others in discussions about the books.

Proud mama bear in the room. Someone pass the tissues. 

Why couldn't I get a sticker for that? A"My kid is seriously awesome because she likes to have discussions about books, and no, that doesn't make her a nerd, and if it does make her a nerd, then nerds are seriously awesome" sticker.

And while we're making stickers, let's make one that says something about how awesome it is that Daughter has a teacher insightful enough to realize why she’s truly remarkable. A teacher that values her not solely for her grades or her percentile on a standardized test scale, but for her love of learning and her willingness to share her knowledge.

Everyone should be so lucky to have a teacher that really truly sees you.

I need a “My kid’s teacher kicks ass” sticker, too.

Yup. On my car. Never. Coming. Off.

Comments

Popular Posts