Early morning travels

Photo by D Sharon Pruittwww.pinksherbert.com/gallery

We need to have a serious talk about 4 AM.  Did you all know this existed?  I have deeply rooted concerns about this.

Mostly, I am concerned with what is not happening at 4 in the morning.  Namely, the making of coffee at my local DD.  Not happening.

Things that are happening:

The deer are awake by 4:21 AM.  I discovered that is the time they hold the opening ceremonies for  the Deer Olympic Games, right there on the highway.  When the twin torches of my headlights gleamed into their midsts, they all froze and looked at me like, “Where’s the coffee?”

One even stepped in front of my speeding mini van, begging to be put out of his misery.  Sorry, buddy.  Misery loves company.  No coffee for me means no coffee for you, now go back to your reindeer games and kick Blitzen’s ass.

Nothing's going on at the gas station at on the corner of early and even earlier.  All closed up at 4:27 AM.  And while nothing is technically going on at the car dealership next door, it is all lit up like high noon.  My guess is the compact cars are afraid of the dark.

The lady at the entrance booth to the airport parking place - definitely happening this morning at 4:43 am.  She overly enthusiastically offered me the morning paper causing me to wonder if a rolled up newspaper could be used to perform a lobotomy.

Luckily, the man driving the van to the terminal looked like he was still awaiting the miracle that is coffee, and that I can respect.  I couldn’t have survived the five minute drive with anyone more chipper than burnt toast.  Not at 4:45 am.

By 5:01 am, I’d made it to my gate and found an uncomfortable seat to wait for my flight.  That's when I noticed the pilot and flight crew.  

Should I be worried if the pilot is patting down all his pockets in what looks like a quickly failing search for the keys to the airplane?  Now he's smacking his head.  Must have left them in his other snazzy pilot get-up.  Someone buy that man a coffee.

Comments

Popular Posts