Part of Your World Reprise

When we were kids, we loved Disney movies. We watched them over and over and even when we were too old to be watching animated movies about princesses and mermaids and stuffy little bookworms (oh, and newspaper boys). Best part about watching movies that many times is that you start to know them all by heart and could then, should the mood strike, act them out in entirety. We all had our favorites. Em was best at Olivia Newton John as Sandy singing Hopelessly Devoted to You (I know that's not technically Disney, but that was her forte). I had a love for news and speaking in a horrible Boston accent. And Beth, she had a real flare for life at sea. Her reenactment of The Little Mermaid's Part of Your World is etched into the landscape of my memory as clearly as the other major events like my wedding day or the day my daughter was born and sadly, the memory of Beth's singing is way clearer than my son's birth, but I blame the drugs. Drugs Bad. Kids, stay away from drugs.

So it was much to my pleasure when my niece decided to try to sing Part of Your World last night. And, sadly, much to my pleasure that she tanked in that attempt. Again, awesome for me that my daughter couldn't rescue her - also failing to rise to the mermaidian task. And then, my sister sidles up and makes my Christmas the most perfect ever. Grabbing the microphone from the little girls and belting out the song as only my sister can, I heard again our childhood, happy and full and safe and lovely.

So I've got only two things to say:

1. Karaoke + Family = Fun

2. I love my sister, immeasurably.


Comments

  1. and I love you dear. I think I should be on broadway.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts