Multi-Author Event at Barnes & Noble in Carmel, Saturday, 3/4, 1-5 PM


A lot of books have come out lately, and I've desperately wanted to get my grabby hands on them, but I've been waiting. It's hard to do. Not at all easy. But I've been waiting so I can buy all my books at the FJHS We the People Book Fair fundraiser this Saturday, March 4, at the Carmel Barnes & Noble.

My thinking is this. Yes, my wallet will cry and gnash its teeth as I empty it at the register to pay for my giant stack of books, BUT!!! I am doing a good thing! I am buying books for a great cause! And doesn't that somehow change the math or the accounting or whatever?

No?

I imagine my husband would be shaking his head at me. No, it doesn't actually change the accounting, he'd say.

Fine. But I'm making bank in Karma points, right?

So, while yes, my smart, mathy husband would remind us that me buying books this Saturday does still count against my book budget, but let's all just focus on how it counts as an amazing good deed and leave it at that.

No money to spend on books? We've all been there. Booknerd problem #372, right? But don't let that stop you from coming out to support the FJHS We the People team and join in all the fun activities.


We have NINE young adult and middle grade authors who will be participating in the event. There will be a panel discussion at 2pm at which the authors will be happy to answer any questions about writing, books, movie, pajamas, whatever!


Megan from MJHdesigns will be at the event to help us learn hand lettering at a Constitution Calligraphy booth. Try signing your own name in fancy script just like our Founding Fathers!


Throughout the day, we'll be forming teams with authors, educators, and YOU to play silly games like YA Pictionary and Historical Headbandz (which should be especially hilarious since my Headbandz set is from Disney and comes complete with mouse ears--so yeah, we'll get to put your favorite teachers, librarians, and authors in mouse ears as they try to guess which history person, place, or thing is on their head).

But the main event (at least in my Hamiltrash heart) is the Hamilton Lip Sync Battle we'll be holding to close out the event. Individuals and groups can sign up to battle it out in Revolutionary style! Costumes aren't required, but why wouldn't you want to come dressed as King George?



Also, the FJHS We the People team is sponsoring a book drive to help the Itty Bitty Library Committee, a nonprofit that helps groups start and maintain little free libraries in Hamilton County and the surrounding areas.



Members of the FJHS We the People team will be at the event to answer questions about the program and thank the community for all the help and support they've shown them since their December state win. For more information about We the People, visit www.civiced.org. Also, I've tried at least twice to explain how amazing this curriculum is. Read those here and here.

I hope to see lots of friendly faces at the event. I'll be the one toting around a giant stack of books to buy because who doesn't need good Karma?




Comments

Popular Posts