Styled2aT's #Teal Takeover


Last year my friend Tabbatha hosted a month-long Teal Takeover on Styled2aT. She curated a collection of stories, information, inspiration, and beautiful teal stylings in which any woman could feel amazing.

I was honored to play host to some of the stories being shared last year (links to revisit those stories are provided at the end of this post).

Once again, I'm privileged to share with you more stories of hope and healing.

This week, I'd like you to meet Tabbatha's friend Mary.




My cancer story began with a question……….“What is THAT?”

That was the question I asked myself in early 2014, while poking around my abdomen. I had just found something firm and hard, close to the surface next to my hipbone.

The year prior (2013) had been filled with tremendous change. I had just transitioned to a new job with a new company. By late fall that year, I was exhausted. And moody. And physically weak.

I thought it was all due to the new job and being peri-menopausal. My symptoms seemed to align with both: tired, emotional and weak. In November, I went to my primary care physician to figure it out.

While I’m glad I went to see my doctor, the series of visits there left me very frustrated. Even before my lab results were in, he was prescribing an anti-depressant.

Mary's favorite nurse, Otis.
When my labs came back, they were “perfect,” but he again recommended an anti-depressant. And again, I refused.  When he told me he didn’t have “a pill that would make me young again,” I was done. On my way out, I asked his nurse for copies of my records and let her know I wouldn’t be back.

As I moved into January 2014, I didn’t feel any better. My pelvic area now was noticeably bloated. I was confused, as the past several months I’d been having trouble finishing meals. I would feel full quickly and wasn’t hungry most of the time. My bowel movements had become inconsistent and I had symptoms similar to a urinary tract infection.

I still thought this was all related to job stress and menopause. One day, wondering why the swelling wasn’t going away, I randomly started feeling the area around my swollen abdomen. I pushed down, and felt a very firm surface on the right side. I checked the left side and it was soft, as usual. I went back to the right side – firm, almost hard. I went back and forth from the left to the right sides at least 10 times before I asked my husband for his opinion. When he suggested I get it checked out, I agreed.

Two days later, standing in our kitchen, a public service announcement aired, outlining ovarian cancer symptoms.

Their list contained:
-       Abdominal swelling (check)
-       Frequency/changes in urnination (check)
-       Changes in bowel movements (check)
-       Feeling fully quickly when eating (check)
-       Back pain

I knew in that moment it was likely I had ovarian cancer and immediately called the gynecologist's office.

Mary celebrating hair regrowth
with a friend.
The gynecologist was terrific, asking a variety of questions and calming me by explaining the various possibilities. I left her office with a schedule for various tests over the upcoming weeks “so we know for sure what it is.”

The first test was a pelvic sonogram and proved to be the catalyst needed. We now had the solid data needed and within 48 hours, I was in the oncologist’s office.

The oncologist was thorough and quick to act. Over the next few weeks, she discovered that I had both ovarian and uterine cancer. After a total hysterectomy and pathology, we learned that my cancers were both Stage One. Six rounds of chemo and one year later, my prognosis is very good.


Please forgive me the lengthy story, but I have a purpose. I learned many lessons:

1.     I knew my body and knew something was wrong and acted fast.

o   Most Ovarian Cancer diagnosis occurs when the patient is already Stage 3 or 4, the sooner you know, the better your prognosis.

2.     Ovarian cancer is very difficult to detect. There isn’t a blood test that calls it out. The symptoms are commonplace and easily explained away.
o   Make sure you and those you love know Ovarian Cancer symptoms


3.     My former primary doctor was not helpful and I felt he didn’t listen to me. Every story I’ve read from ovarian cancer survivors started with a primary care physician who couldn’t ID the disease.
Mary's hair continues
 to grow after treatment.

4.     Now, more than ever, I believe in intuition and fate.

o   Whatever “speaks” to you, please listen.

September is Ovarian Cancer awareness month. The disease is a silent and deadly thief that has taken too many wonderful wives, daughters, mothers and friends away from us. 

I hope my story helps shed light on the symptoms and that just maybe it will generate a few conversations that could save some lives.





All things Teal 2014

Comments

Popular Posts