The Advantages of Being Bullheaded

This is a gentle Pit-bull. He is not a quitter. He understands the advantages of being (pit)bullheaded.
Adopt him at The Humane Society of Eastern Carolina

I got a note from a reader the other morning telling me how much she enjoyed reading Love and Other Unknown Variables. She mentioned that she doesn't read much, for personal reasons. The next thing I know I'm emailing her back with a long story about how awesome my Amazing Little Sister is because she never read much (for personal reasons also, aka learning disabilities), but whoa-man! She's got it all figured out now!

And it made me think, that yes, I brag about my Amazing Little Sister all the time on the blog, but I don't know if I've ever told you this one thing about her…she's unstoppable.

Reading and taking tests and sitting still are not my sister's things. Succeeding at a traditional US public school is difficult when you struggle with these skills. My sister is wicked smart, but her smarts shine in ways that don't show up on a standardized test. School was a nightmare for her. She got by on her winning personality, her creativity, and her…uh, let's call it tenacity (which is a nice way of saying bullheadedness).

School was a breeze for me. I learn by reading and writing. I can sit still for HOURS. And while tests give me anxiety, they still favor my ability to read long passages and remember information. Growing up, I worked hard in school, but not as hard as my sister was forced to work.

Today in my kids' schools, I am encouraged by the shift in education that I see toward problem based learning, student-led projects, and flexible classroom protocols. Kids who can't sit still are allowed space to wiggle. Students who retain information better by listening are given audio books. Technology is readily used as a means to an end, not the end itself. Students are encouraged to seek out problems in and around our school and community and find and implement real world solutions.

Unfortunately, not all school systems are as amazing as the one my kids attend (just like not everyone's little sister is as amazing as mine). So lots of young people are still struggling. And some of them are giving up. And I need those young adults to know that it does get better. That there are places in this world that will appreciate, adore, and encourage their unique talents.

School is not the entirety of the universe.

My Amazing Little Sister is now the Executive Director of the Humane Society of Eastern Carolina. She saves the lives of animals and improves the lives of humans on a daily basis. She promotes kindness, compassion, and community. AND on top of ALL of that, she's an awesome wife, mom, daughter, friend, runner, activist, and the most Amazing Little Sister ever.

And school was NOT her thing.

So I guess I just need everyone out there who struggles with school or thinks you aren't smart/good/creative/awesome enough—I need you to know that you are amazing. Stick to it. Be tenacious.

Which is my way of saying it's cool to be bullheaded sometimes.


Oh, and one more thing—thanks for reaching out and sharing your stories with me. I love connecting with readers!

Comments

  1. This post made my heart very happy. Thank you for sharing this story about your sister. Tenacity over talent any day!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts