Why "bossy" is dangerous



Today I want to talk about kicking butt and taking names.

Actually, the taking names part doesn't interest me. Let's just kick some butt.

I recently had the opportunity to read Sara Hantz's WILL THE REAL ABI SAUNDERS PLEASE STAND UP which releases today.

Want it? Get it here.
From Goodreads:
Abi Saunders might be a kickboxing champion, but when it comes to being the center of attention, she’d rather take a roundhouse kick to the solar plexus any day. So when her trainer convinces her to audition to be the stunt double for hot teen starlet Tilly Watson, Abi is shocked—and a little freaked out—when she gets the job.

Being a stunt double is overwhelming, but once the wig and makeup are on, Abi feels like a different person. Tilly Watson, to be exact. And when Tilly’s gorgeous boyfriend, Jon, mistakes Abi for the real star, Abi's completely smitten. In fact, she’s so in love with her new life, it isn’t long before she doesn’t have time for her old one.

But when the cameras are turned off, will she discover running with the Hollywood A-list isn’t quite the glamorous existence she thought it was?

I was intrigued by the concept because I loved my kickboxing classes back in NC. 

LOVED. Them.

I don't do confrontation well. In fact, I try to avoid it like laundry. Inevitably, I end up with overflowing emotions that clog my mind and body until I can barely move around (much like my laundry room at this moment - oh, so much laundry!).

Kickboxing classes gave me an out, a way to get all my aggression out in the open. And I wasn't made to feel badly about having those angry, ugly, I-want-to-punch-something-so-bad-I-could-scream emotions. In fact, I was regularly complimented. People looked to me for energy, technique, and even a good laugh when class got tough.

My aggression was celebrated. Girls can't say that very often.

Recently, there's been a push to Ban Bossy from our vocabularies, especially when it referring to young girls who are unafraid to express opinions and emotions. Even the messy ones.

The movement points out that by middle school, girls are less apt to take on leadership roles. Those behind Ban Bossy (Lean In and The Girls Scouts among other partners) believe the confidence has to do in part with the way assertive girls are labeled as pushy, stubborn, aggressive, and BOSSY. Discouraged, girls eventually stop speaking up.

As the mother of an opinionated girl, this movement speaks volumes to me. I don't want more labels slapped on my little girl. Those stupid labels are sticky. Once they get on you, they're awfully hard to shake.

Because of this, I've pledged to #BANBOSSY from my vocabulary and help spread the word. 

No one's going to stunt my daughter's growth without a butt kicking from this aggressive mama bear.

Take a minute and listen to these strong girls tell their story. Visit Ban Bossy and join with me.




Comments

Popular Posts