Announcing my book deal the right way

Disclaimer: The following blog post uses some grown-up language.  Which means, in the world of my kids, that the "s-word" in this post does not refer to the word "stupid."


I've got this last chance to announce some big news without blowing it.

Here goes.

Heather Howland at Entangled Publishing has picked up LOVE AND OTHER UNKNOWN VARIABLES, my debut contemporary young adult novel.

Yay! Yay! Yay! 

From Publisher's Marketplace (squint and you can kinda see it)

This is amazing news! News I've been working years to be able to share, so I was excited to share it with the people who've helped me along the way. But like my main character, Charlie, my ability to successfully interact with other humans is always an unknown variable.

First, I tried telling my husband, Drew.





Next, I tried my luck with my friend, Gwen, who I'd been texting when the email came in. We ended up in a long, philosophical discussion about the meaning behind a mysterious emoji.

Read all about Kadomatsu




I did a little research and our Cactus of Yesssssss is called Kadomatsu in Japanese. It's used to bring in the new year with good luck.








Knowing I had celebrated this new writing year with Kadomatsu made me a little overconfident, I think, because next I texted this lovely gem to my friend Tabbatha . . .

Never text before coffee, folks. Never.

After that, I decided I should call my family. Yes. Phone calls are better. There's no written record of how much I can screw up making the most exciting announcement in my writing career.

And I have a whole slew of email exchanges between Jessica Sinsheimer of the Sarah Jane Freymann Literary Agency and myself while we waited for this moment, only two-thirds of which are embarrassing.* Thank you, Jessica, to infinity and back. 

(*Jessica says to tell you that she disagrees. My emails are always delightful. Told you she was awesome.)

Thing is though that every one of these people could care less how I announce this news. They are just excited to celebrate it with me for it's been a long journey and we've still got further to go, but with friends, family, and colleagues like these, every step is a blessing.

So thanks everyone!

And the amazing part is that now I get to work with an accomplished editor like Heather and the Entangled team, who will make sure I won't fall victim to autocorrect, poor spelling, and my habit to ramble down whatever shiny path appears before me (even if there are cacti).

And Heather, I can't wait to start the next leg of this experience. Thanks for falling in love with my imaginary friends.


Reading the final contract after the kiddos have gone to bed.
My Cactus of Yesssssssssssssssss!





Comments

  1. Fantastic! Congratulations. And thank you for the Cactus of Yessssssss. I'll be using that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO excited to be part of this journey with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol! It seems that you and typing can be dangerous- definitely going to buy your book when it comes out! ;) Congrats, this is amazing news!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! And thanks for sharing the news in such an amusing manner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats, Shannon! I will be looking for it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts