Country roads take me home


photo by S Braswell


I’ve been living in the Indianapolis area for two years, and the other day I realized it has become home. The realization came to me as I was taking a back road between destinations—a road I didn’t know existed six months ago.

Life shifts subtly most days. We never notice these small changes as they are happening, but if we’re paying attention, we may recognize the results. Learning the back roads was never my intention, but now they’re a part of daily life. (Click here for other thoughts on life's small shifts.)

I didn’t want to leave North Carolina. I have family and friends living there. The weather is temperate. There are beautiful forests EVERYWHERE. I knew all the shortcuts and back country roads. It was home.

There was wailing and gnashing of teeth and a wild rumpus or two (click for more temper tantrums related to moving - Move over lifeLosing control, Things that are free, Early morning travels, Welcome home muse - wow! I didn't realize there were that many. What a grump!).

My husband lured me to the Midwest in what I consider to be his moment of greatest genius.

“You know who lives in Indianapolis, don’t you?”

People who don’t mind freezing their collective ass off?

A sly smile slid across his face. “John Green.”

No lie. This was his major selling point.

And it worked.

For those not in the know, John Green is one of my favorite young adult authors. You’ve probably heard of a little book called THE FAULT IN OUR STARS (which is, as we speak, being made into a movie). 


Yep. That’s him.

Two John Green sightings.
Two signed books.
Prior to moving to Indy, I imagined I’d run into John Green in the hardware store, library, or farmer’s market. In my best daydream, he’d wave me over as I went out to get my mail and tell me some funny writing mishap, and we’d laugh in that way that old friends do.

I’ve been here two years and have seen him two times, and both times he was up on a BIG stage and I was far, far away in a crowded row of seats. So no, not exactly BFFs with the amazing John Green.

But I do have some pretty amazing friends here. Friends that inspire me, take care of me, share coffee and laughs with me, and sometimes pull me around Target in large wheeled duffel bags. That’s what friends are for.

And I have amazing writing friends that laugh with me about all the writer-ly crap we go through together.

I also have a closet full of puffy coats and enough wooly hats to make an entire flock of sheep. 

Look how happy this dude looks
with his sun lamp!
Money can buy happiness
here in the Midwest.
And pretty soon, I’ll also have a sun lamp because I’m not so sure this Southern girl can take another Midwestern winter without shaving her head, gluing feathers to every inch of her body, and flying off to a more temperate climate.


I may still be a Carolina Girl at heart, but I have a growing love for this place I call home now. Moving to the Midwest has helped me realize that the good things in my life are always the ones it takes a little longer to reach. 


Things are always easier to find once I know my way around the back roads.


Comments

  1. So happy you have found the back roads! Love ya! mom

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts