Get me out of this time capsule!

Raise your hand if you remember this video:

If your hand is up, you may want to sit down to read the rest of this post. It may contain shocking news for you. I'm still recovering.

For those confused, this is Fatboy Slim's Praise You Like I Should and the video contains a flash mob from the Jurassic period.

Driving home from errands today, the radio was playing tons of great songs like the one above.

This is awesome! I think to myself as I sing and dance in my mini van - truly rocking out. Out of the corner of my eye, I notice dude-in-sensible-car looking at me like I should be embarrassed. But, the music is so great, I don't care. I give him a chin jut like, What? and hit the high hat on my steering wheel drum set.

The song ends and an announcer voice says, "You're listening to (insert sound effect of a vault opening) Time Capsule - 1998."

Whuck?! Why in the world would 1998 be in a time capsule. It was last year, right?

No. No, it wasn't.

I'm old. I am no longer a young adult. I'm just a garden variety adult.

What makes me think I can write for today's youth? It can't be just because my favorite swear words are asshat and jackhole (which is not technically a swear). There has to be something deeper.

I'm so old I couldn't even remember what I did for my last birthday. My daughter had to retell it for me. Apparently, it concluded with cartwheels in the backyard. It's safe to assume alcohol had been involved.

Dearest Daughter was impressed by the cartwheels and knowing I've had a falling-apart kind of year, lamented those were probably my last cartwheels ever.

Tell me I can't do a cartwheel . . . How's it go again? Hand. Hand. Foot. Foot. Nothing to it if you keep up your momentum.

No alcohol was harmed in the making of this video.

Perhaps this is why I'm drawn to YA. Tell a kid they can't do something and it's game on. It's a time of pushing boundaries, growing your independence, and beginning to explore the person you may like to become.

Thing is, I'm still doing all of that. Most of us are. Although, I'll admit I am more of a boundary nudger than a pusher these days.

Adults think we're more mature than our teen selves. Let's call that wishful thinking. We may be a little wiser, but paradoxically, we are still as stupid as ever. Which is good, because when you stop learning -  well, you're dead.

Hand. Hand. Foot. Foot. Keep up the momentum.

Comments

Popular Posts