What's behind the wild rumpus

Maurice Sendak's WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE
Not to brag, but my son has only had two temper tantrums in his entire six years of life. This is especially impressive since I've had four in the past hour.

He's always been the type of child to laugh or cry easily, never attempting to cover his feelings. Well, sometimes he tries not to cry ("Guess what, Aunt B?"), but he's not good at it and crumbles back into his authentic self instantly. I think that's why he never really had tantrums, which well up from the deep for those of us who can't communicate our feelings.

My son's needs have always been simple. He needs his family. He needs hugs, lots of hugs. He needs a minimum of two penguin stuffed animals to sleep at night and at least one pizza night a week. If he is happy, he laughs. If he is sad, he cries. If he is angry, he yells.

I adore this about him. When I grow up, I want to laugh and cry just like my son.

I remember the first time I read Maurice Sendak's WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE to him. His eyes lit like fireworks as Max and the monsters danced across the pages.

I'd find him in his room early every morning flipping through the pages. Standing quietly at his door, I'd watch his face erupt into a bright smile in one instant and fall into a scowl in the next in mimicry of Max's adventures.

Max is the king of the temper tantrum. In his story, he gets so angry he sails away to become king of the Wild Things. He eats what he wants and sleeps when he wants and gnashes his terrible teeth at whomever he wants.

Wild rumpus aside, my son's favorite part of the book was when Max came home and found food waiting for him in his room.

"Look, Mom," he'd say, jabbing a chubby finger at the book. "Max's mommy loves him." With wide brown eyes, he'd smile up at me.

"Even when he's being a wild thing," he'd say, growling the word wild as he said it.

Then, he'd snuggle a little closer and whisper, "Let's read it again."

I believe Sendak's story reaffirmed for my son that his feelings aren't something to fear. His family will always love him - despite the rumpuses.

In fact, we may just join him.

Thank you, Mr. Sendak.

Click here for an excellent interview
with Sendak from The Guardian

Click here to read the New York Times article on Sendak's death.


Two clips of Sendak on Colbert Report. His honesty is brutal, just like the kids that love him.



Part 1







Part 2


Comments

Popular Posts