I'm a terribly busy, busy, busy woman

Unknown Variables:  The Sticky Note Version

I've just spent a few days putting my original story onto a series of sticky notes to outline my main character's journey.  You can see it in the picture above.  My story is 130 inches long.  Not for any symbolic reason, but because that is the length of the wall in my office where it will soon hand.

This process was a terribly frustrating writing experience.  I felt completely boxed in by the 3"x3" stickies and the orderly way they represented such a messy story.  It was hard to only write down what I'd previously written and not make changes along the way.  That step comes next.

I now hate sticky notes.  A shocking statement because I'm the kind of girl that lives for sticky notes - happy little reminders to keep me on track.

The point of this exercise is to make the story more fluid.  Now, I get to fill in more stickies with the revision parts of the story and can easily move or remove old stickies to add new ones.  Hopefully all this sticky business will help me restructure the story so it will flow more easily in revisions.  Hopefully.

The idea of facing more stickies though has me dragging my feet.  I'm thinking of caulking the outside of the windows before winter.  I've been putting off painting my son's room.  The carpets need a good steam cleaning too.  There's always laundry to be folded.  My toenails are looking dreadful after the 3-Day, perhaps I need to work on those.  So much to do and none of it has anything to do with God-forsaken sticky notes!

Amidst all this good and busy planning, I remembered with a laugh Ellen Degeneres's take on procrastination.  So, I had to look it up and watch it, while telling myself, I was not procrastinating but taking a needed inspiration break.

I'll share my muse with you all today.  The Goddess of Procrastination: Ellen Degeneres.  If you've got something more pressing that needs doing, please get busy.  Otherwise, procrastinate with me friends . . .


Comments

Popular Posts