Mother/Daughter/Son review of WONDER


Today we're doing a special family edition of the book review. A family favorite in our household is R.J. Palacio's WONDER.

From Goodreads:

August (Auggie) Pullman was born with a facial deformity that prevented him from going to a mainstream school—until now. He's about to start 5th grade at Beecher Prep, and if you've ever been the new kid then you know how hard that can be. The thing is Auggie's just an ordinary kid, with an extraordinary face. But can he convince his new classmates that he's just like them, despite appearances?

Son and Daughter have taken the time to answer these 5 questions about August Pullman and his friends with me today.


1. Would you recommend this book and why?

Son--Yes I would recommend this book because I like that the book has parts and every part has a different perspective and I like that. So if you like reading books with lots of points of views, you'd like WONDER too.

Daughter--Ditto. I like books where you can see into other people's minds and not just one persons' thoughts.

Mom--I've recommended this book so many times I can't keep count. The other reviewers here read it because I declared it mandatory reading for living in our household. There aren't many books on the you-must-read-this-if-you-want-me-to-continue-feeding-you list, but WONDER is near the top.

2. Which character is your favorite and why?

Son--Jack Will is my favorite because he apologized to Auggie for what he did, which makes me feel that he's the kind of kid that isn't clueless exactly. He understands that Auggie is having a hard time at school and he stands up for his friend.

Daughter--My favorite character is Miranda because I like her spunk. The other reason I like her is because she doesn't treat Auggie like he is a bad person. Really, he's a good guy. He just has a facial disorder.

Mom--I'm going to cheat and give my top three. It's my blog, so I can do whatever I want!! August Pullman is my favorite character because he is kind and brave and generally made of awesome (even though he sometimes gets snippy with his mom). Jack is second because he's brave like Auggie. Apologizing for hurting Auggie must have been hard to do. I loved that Jack chooses loyalty, kindness, and friendship. Third is Auggie's dad. He reminds me of my own dad who can make people laugh when they need to, but who is no fool. No fool at all.

3. Tell about your favorite scene or line from the story (no spoilers!).

Son - I like Summer Dawson's precept.
"If you can get through middle school without hurting anyone's feelings, that's really cool beans."
I also have a favorite name: Darth Daisy!

Daughter - Like our other review (click here to read the Mother/Daughter review of THE GHOSTS OF TUPELO LANDING), I don't know. Everything that the characters say is really awesome.

Mom--My favoritest favorite part has to be August's Dad's confession in the chapter titled The Drop-Off (pg. 291 in my copy). It is funny and sweet and perfect. Just like Auggie. Just like his dad. Just like life would always be if everything could always be perfect.

4. Is the story set in a place you'd like to visit? Why or why not?

Son--Yes, I would like to visit Auggie's town, but I wouldn't want to go to his school if Julian was still there because he's a jerk.

Daughter--No. I mean, it sounds like a great town, but I don't want to visit. It seems like there are a ton of mean kids in Auggie's town, kids that even Julian would have a hard time beating on the scale of meanness.

Mom--I don't think either of my kids remember this is set in Manhattan or they'd both want to visit! I'd want to go to Auggie's school. It sounds like he has a lot of really wonderful teachers and administrators working there to make it a good place to learn. Plus the Egypt Museum Project sounds so cool! School is never going to be a breeze because there will always be some kids you just can't get along with, but I'd say Auggie's school sounds fun.

5. Did you laugh or cry?

Son--A mixture of both.

Daughter--Laugh. I almost never cry at books, not even BRIDGE TO TERABITHIA (Mom--I still don't know how that's possible!!).

Mom--Both. The first time I read this I think I cried (either happy or sad tears) every third page or something ridiculous like that. This time, I made it all the way to the end without actually crying (although I got a little glassy eyed a few times). What gets me every time are these little last thoughts that the characters tag onto the ends of the chapters. They are mostly afterthoughts, but they hit me like punches in the chest, really making me think and feel like I AM the character. It's brilliant!

BONUS QUESTION!
If you were to send Mr. Browne a precept postcard, what would it say?

Son--Keep calm and carry an orange lightsaber!

Daughter-- Life has a lot of standards to live by. Live by the one you created yourself.
OR-- Don't worry, be happy.

Mom--Be. Here. Now. (although I struggle with this Every. Single. Moment.)

Comments

Popular Posts