I need a shirt for that

Her face just about says it all, right?
from Kids Health

I just survived the Social Health parent meeting. For those not in the know, "Social Health" is this century's version of good old Sex Ed. We've already discussed my fears around having The Talk with Daughter.

But I'm not going to write about the presentation today. I will say that the video we watched was equally as horrifying to the adult version of me as it was to the pubescent me. Except no one was wearing neon.

I'm extremely proud to have made it out with some shred of maturity and dignity. I deserve some sort of t-shirt proclaiming, I survived the Social Health parent meeting and all I got was this stupid t-shirt.

But they don't make those shirts. I looked.

Slaughterhouse Five
by Kurt Vonnegut Jr.
Instead, I'm going to tell you about another t-shirt find that I love. One of these might do nicely to soothe the soul after sitting through a presentation about discussing the "special word" S-E-X with our babies.

For my birthday this year, Hubster and some friends took me to downtown  for the Indy Literary Pub Crawl. We went to four (maybe five?) bars downtown, each featuring literary inspired drink specials. The Cat's Cradle was my favorite.

Raspberry infused bourbon? Yes, please.


Watership Down
by Richard Adams

I struck up a conversation with a woman wearing an awesome Watership Down t-shirt to avoid what was quickly becoming the world's most depressing come-on some poor random drunk guy was trying out on my friend and me.

I admit to being the worst kind of wing-man. I bailed on her faster than Hazel running from the hrurududu. There was no way I was talking to some drunk stranger about all the American tragedies of the past twenty years.

Instead, I spoke with the bookish woman about . . . books. Way awesomer.

What I learned was that her shirt was from this cool company (who has no idea that I exist so it's not like they are paying me to say this) called Out of Print Clothing. They've got all sorts of book inspired fashion and accessories. There t-shirts feature first edition book cover art work. Y'all know I'm a sucker for original book cover art (Click here for Cover Story). But the best part is that for each item we purchase, they give something precious to someone in need.

From their mission statement:
Pride and Prejudice
by Jane Austen
In addition to spreading the joy of reading through our tees and accessories, we acknowledge that many parts of the world don’t have access to books at all. We are working to change that. For each product sold, one book is donated to a community in need through our partner Books For Africa.

Love it.

So perhaps I cannot have an I survived the Social Health parent meeting and all I got was this stupid t-shirt shirt. But at Out of Print Clothing, I've got lots of other goodies to fawn over in a pathetic attempt to distract myself from my upcoming icky parenting task.

 

Comments

  1. Greatest simile of all time: faster than Hazel running from the hrurududu.

    I'm buying that shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you like the comparison, Ninja. I figured you would get the reference. Richard Adams is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I get a t-shirt that says I Survived Being Hit on by the Saddest Sad-Sack in the World While My Friend Abandoned Me? ;) Do you think Downer Devon ever found true love? I kind of doubt it. I bet he's reveling in all the depressing 50th anniversary of the JFK assassination stuff though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, you do deserve a t-shirt, Ms. Gwennie Pennie.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts