Too long

Photo by Geoffrey Lebrec

It has been so long since I've written here Blogger didn't even recognize me.  I'd also forgotten my password, which threw one more obstacle in my way.  Still, I've made it, and I've got something to share.  Something nice and positive and not at all like the depressive drivel I would have written if I'd tried to blog while I was buried in frustrating revisions.

This morning, my kindergarten aged son bounded into the kitchen with his own "computer."  His computer looks very much like mine except that it inexplicably plays a synthesizer-on-amphetamines version of Greensleeves whenever you turn it on and the games are lame.  It does have a writing "app," as he likes to point out.  He can type around 150 characters, which is great for texting, but limits the scope for composition.

He banged his computer down on the counter, and breathlessly called, "Mom!  Look at this!"

Turning the screen to face me, I read:

Mom i luve
you.

It is his first original piece of writing.  It is perfect.  It needs no revision.  

Daughter, however, kindly pointed out to her younger brother that "love" is a tricky word to sound out and is spelled with an o not a u.

"See, the o is just above the l on the keyboard," she said while pointing it out to him.  She meant well.  It was said with the upmost respect and grace.  But, his face fell just a little right before he smiled up at me.

"But you still like it, right?"

I luve it.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts