Color by heart

Photo by Angela W.
http://frozen-mist.deviantart.com


My daughter asked for some Mommy and Me time this past weekend.  She'd found the American Girl book with that title that I'd been keeping for a rainy day or a frostbitten winter.  The book contains quizzes, games, fun ideas and conversation starters for girls and their moms to help them learn a little more about each other.  It was neither rainy or frosty out, but who can say no to those baby blues?

She had pulled out a quiz for us to take.  It consisted of two columns for answers.  In one, I write my favorite.  In the other, I write my daughter's and vice versa.  Midway down, we are instructed to write our favorite colors.  I fill in mine - teal.  She fills in what she thinks is my favorite color - purple.  When we compared, I felt a small tugging in my chest, not least because she guessed almost all of my favorites incorrectly, but because once upon a time, purple had been my favorite color.

I have two favorite colors.  Pink and Teal.  Pink is the color of breast cancer awareness and reminds me of all the wonderful keepers now in my life because of the Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure.  Teal is the color of ovarian cancer awareness, and reminds me of the woman who inspired me to start writing and walking.

On any given day I am wearing some bit of pink or teal.  Today, there is teal on the beautiful bracelet from Chaofaite.  Running yesterday, it was my pink 3-Day hat.  Last Tuesday I was wearing my colors and a week from Friday, I'll be covered in them.  I don't even think about it anymore.  My wardrobe is so peppered with teals and pinks now, it is nearly impossible to be without them.

Before cancer played such a big role in my life though, I picked my favorite color because it appealed to me innately.  The quiz had me thinking.  In a world without cancer, what would my favorite color be?

My daughter's favorite color is no longer pink, she informed me.  She fancies purple these days.

Why?  I asked.

She looked at me with that scrunched up brow of hers, clearly reminding me of her superior intellect.  She gave me a "Bless your heart" kind of smile and replied,

Just because . . .

Photo by Angela W.
http://frozen-mist.deviantart.com
If you are inclined to make my dream of a cancer-free world come true, look to the top right side of the blog under Causes I Love.  Click on My Personal 3-Day page to make a donation to The Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure or Click on Bright Night 5k to make a donation to a most wonderful ovarian cancer charity set up in the name of my dear friend, the Magnificent Ms Em.  The world (and my wardrobe) thanks you for your generosity.  

Comments

Popular Posts